Another month, another new Stamp of the Month (SOTM) from Close to My Heart, and this one certainly doesn’t disappoint. Winged Masterpiece features a beautiful and delicate butterfly and dragonfly, along with a variety of sentiments in a variety of font styles.
At first sight, this set may be overwhelming, especially if you are new to stamping, but once you get to playing with it, the possibilities are endless. Today, I’ll share two different ways to use the butterfly in a card – one simple and quick, the other more intricate and detailed.
Card #1: Sleek and Simple
To achieve this look, I stamped the image in VersaMark Ink and then heat embossed it using silver embossing powder. I was worried that using black cardstock as my base would be too heavy for the delicate butterfly, but once I had fussy cut it, and laid it on the silver foil paper, it balanced out.
The first layer of silver foil was cut using the largest size in the Stitched Rectangle Frame Thin Cut set, in order to add some visual appeal to the layers underneath the butterfly. I then mounted it onto black and again onto silver foil cardstock. I considered stamping the sentiment in black directly on the silver foil, but opted to heat emboss it in silver on black cardstock, like the butterfly, to mirror the look and create cohesion in the card.
Lastly, I added a few liquid pearls in White Opal to the butterfly wings, and black enamel dots to the card around the sentiment, to draw your eye in to the key features of the card.
Card #2: Intricate and Detailed
This card is a lot more detailed and delicate than the first.
The first step was to stamp the butterfly using Intense Black Ink, which is recommended for use with alcohol markers. I used four different colours of Specturm Noir Triblend markers to colour in the butterfly – this was probably the most time intensive part, as parts of the stamped image are so small.
Next, I used the tone-on-tone stamping technique to create the floral background on the Wisteria cardstock pieces. The stamp is actually the butterfly again – I simply used the side of one of the wings, and stamped off the edge of the cardstock. For the bottom sentiment I needed something bigger than what is offered in the SOTM, so I pulled out Sentiments by Melissa Esplin for the “Hello”. It was large enough to stand out between all the flowers, yet the hand lettering font keeps it delicate, like the butterfly.
I mounted both Wisteria pieces on Peach cardstock, then added the butterfly. I stuck his wings onto 3D foam tape, but the body is glued directly to the card – this creates an illusion that he’s almost flying. Lastly, I added white liquid pearls to the butterfly wings to help make him pop.
Here are the two cards again, side by side. I think each creates a different look – one bold and sleek with silvers and blacks; the other delicate and sweet with its florals and pastel colours. Which do you prefer?
Remember that the Stamp of the Month is only available in the featured month, so this one retires on March 31st 🦋
Supplies (all CTMH unless stated otherwise):
- Inks: VersaMark Ink, Intense Black Exclusive Ink, Wisteria Exclusive Ink, Spectrum Noir TriBlend Markers
- Stamp Sets: Winged Masterpiece (March Stamp of the Month), Sentiments by Melissa Esplin
- Paper: Black Cardstock, Silver Foil Paper, White Daisy Cardstock, Wisteria Cardstock, Peach Cardstock
- Thin Cuts: Stitched Rectangle Frames Thin Cuts
- Embellishment: White Opal Liquid Pearls, Black and White Dots
- Adhesive: 3-D Foam Tape, Dual-Tip Multi-Bond Glue Pen
- Other: Silver Embossing Powder, Heat Tool, White Cards and Envelopes Value Pack
About CTMH Stamp of the Month Special:
- Regularly priced at $25.75, customers can get it for $6.75 with a qualifying order of $60 (before tax)
- VIP customers can add the SOTM for free to their qualifying order of $60 (before tax) – click here to learn more about becoming a VIP customer to take advantage of this special offer.
Interested in purchasing this card or similar ones? Head on over to the Handmade Cards section of this website.
Thanks for joining me!
Aggie – Arrows of Hope Designs 💘